Friday, October 31, 2008

What I am doing here.

The Voynich manuscript has been a project that I have worked on deciphering on and off for over thirty years. Some months ago I finally made some progress. I am going to put up on the web what I figure out and see if any puzzle nut might want to help. The current lists about the VMS have little but learned egotism and not much about 16th century cryptology. My working theory is that the VMS is a recipe book from a medieval chemist. So far I have determined that the VMS is an enciphered code with Latin as a primary language. I need to slowly continue the decipherment and see if I can reconstruct the code book. I will be posting all my work as I do it. Over the next few days I will try to post all my current findings.

Note: I use the revised currier transcription.

1 comment:

Dennis said...

Hello Mark! "If anyone could use a computer to automatically replace letter groups with letters it could help greatly." BITRANS can do this; it is a tremendously powerful program. You can get it along with many other Voynich tools here:

http://www.geocities.com/ctesibos/voynich/tools.html

I'm glad you're still working on the VMs. I've seen you ever since you've been on vms-list, of course.

Yours truly,
Dennis S.